Thursday, March 5, 2009

9 Long Years

It has been 9 LONG years since my dad passed away. He died on February 29, 2000. That's right he died on a leap year so everyone, every year could be confused as to what day his death anniversary is....Feb 28th or March 1. It doesn't matter anyways because I think about him everyday. Every time my kids do something funny I think of how much my dad would have enjoyed that or days that I want his advice on something. I think of him daily and I miss him more and more. I guess he's been on my mind a little more than usual lately because of the time of year and the older my children get I want them to know him, so I find myself telling stories about him. Anyone that knew my dad, loved him. He was one funny and loving man! The sad thing is I don't think I ever fully appreciated him or understood him until I became a parent myself. I always thought I was so much like my mom, which I am. But, the older I get I realize that I'm so much like him too. I love picnics, I love going on drives with my husband and kids, I love openness (is that a word?), I love my privacy, I love being outdoors, I love Don Williams and most of all I love being with my family above anything else but I will never love Cherry Cordials or Maple Nut Ice cream...there, we will never be the same. I was going through some pictures tonight and found these. I suck at scanning...first time, but I wanted to show these pictures. The picture below was taken at Strawberry Reservoir about 13 years ago. It was my dad, mom, Joe, Dolly, Neil, me and Jer (he was taking the picture). All 7 of us crammed into this tiny tin boat and headed out to the middle of the lake. I kid you not the water was only 1-2 inches from coming into the boat. It was such a memorable fishing trip and I think the smile on all of our faces shows how much we loved it!...




















This family picture just made me laugh! I love the look on Matt's face. Classic mormon, 1980's family picture.....
and I LOVE this picture of my mom and dad! I love that my mom's glasses take up 3/4 ths of her face and she still looks adorable. They were such a good example of what a marriage should be and what is of the most importance in your life...family. I love them both. I miss my dad so much, but have been lucky to have some very special experiences since his passing. I know he is doing more important work somewhere else but that he cares about what is happening in his family's lives. I don't think it ever gets easier having him gone, I just get used to feeling that void in my life...I do have an amazing father in law though! I just pray that I can help my children get to know this wonderful Grandfather of theirs through stories.

10 comments:

Spence and Car said...

Carrie, thanks for sharing. You and your family are so strong and amazing!!! I remember how great you all are, and how much you took care of your dad and family...and i know you still do. you are such a great example to all of us. I'm sending all my love your way.

Matt Loveridge said...

Carrie, it was nice to hear your thoughts on dad. He really would have been the funnest grandpa. I feel like I need to write things down or do better at sharing memories with my kids before they start to fade. Thanks for the shout out in the 80's pictures. If you miss that look, Kalli can mimic it pretty good.

Matt Loveridge said...

I almost forgot Jackie has her own blog now so you can make sure and check it out and add her to your friend list. http://loveridges.blogspot.com/

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...

Carrie... your post made me cry as I remembered your dad... I don't know if you remember that I called him 'dad' too, and he just didn't care... he was there for everyone and made all of us feel important and special.
It was so fun to find your blog through facebook. I hope you don't mind!?
I laughed at your old family photo... because you weren't much older than that when I came to Utah and fell in love with every one of you. I still remember all of you that way! You were so teeny back then! Please tell everyone hello for me.
It's so good to see your sweet family's faces again! Feel free to visit me at my blog (although I've been a post slacker lately!) www.blogalongwithus.com

Hayley said...

Carrie, that was a great post. I remember you fathers funeral vividly, I was so broken hearted for all of you, but there was such a prevailing spirit of peace throughout the services, that you couldn't doubt the existance of the eternal family unit. Loveridges are very cool! I miss you, we should get together one of these days- I can't wait to meet your family. Hayley

Mandy said...

Awe, Carrie I love seeing your soft side. I love you.

Sharise said...

Your dad seems like he was really sweet. I don't remember much about him from when he home-taught us, but I remember he was always nice. From what you wrote, though, I can tell you're a lot like him

Lisa said...

I'm getting to be a sap with age cause your post made me cry. I also remember your dad's funeral but what hit me the most was seeing all of your brothers crying at the viewing before hand but trying desperately to hold it together (sorry if this is morbid).

I gotta say, the Loveridge family pictures were always the best. Steph, Allison and I used to stand and look at everyone's expression and Steph had the funniest commentary on what everyone was thinking.

I think your dad would have been the most awesome grandpa, he would have totally fallen in love with all of his grandkids, I'm sure he hates that he isn't here to be with them all. Your mom must take a lot of comfort in the fact she has 8 great kids who all look a lot like him and have his sense of humor.

Big hugs to all of you guys! Love the Loveridges!

Heidi said...

Car,
I love you!!! You are an amazing and strong...and amazingly strong:) girl!!! I remember meeting your dad, and I remember knowing how much you loved him by the way you cared for him. It's awesome to know that he'll be on the other side for you to eventually greet him--and your kids will have a perfect opportunity to know and love him like you do!!! Love you!!
Heidi